Jackson Township Volunteer Fire Company
Jackson Township Volunteer Fire Company Relief Association
Jackson Township Volunteer Fire Company Auxiliary
Revised April 29, 2013
The following history has been copied the way it was written and put together from the minutes of passed years. Some of the files were destroyed by fire and others we are still going through.
November 9, 1951 - 1st meeting held in the Jackson Township School. (The Township Building now) The following were voted in President Norman Possinger, VP Russell Minich, Sec William C. Woodling, Treas George Jones, Trustees Homer Rinker, Jacob Rustine, Paul Hufford, James Leitman, Jacob Miller, Homer Singer, Blaine Martin.
Harold Rader donated first fire truck and was named Honorary Chief. Meetings were slated for the 1st Friday of the month.
February 4, 1952 – Charter was granted by the courts.
March 4, 1952 – Special meeting held. The following were voted in President Donald Rowe, VP unknown, Sec William, Treas George Jones, Trustees Jacob Miller, Homer Singer, Carl Price, Roy Sebring, Bert Shaffer, Forrest Singer, Robert Lee, Martin Rinker, R H Minich.
Public meeting – Harold Rader was made Honorary Fire Chief. Martin Rinker voted in as the first Fire Chief with Norman Possinger as the 1st Asst Chief and Norman Warner as the 2nd Asst Chief.
April 19, 1952 – 1st Oyster and Ham dinner. Took in $381.50.
May 2, 1952 – Joined 4-County Association with Homer Rinker as 1st delegate.
June 13, 1952 – Special meeting, no notes.
August 15, 1952 – 1st Carnival – Total receipts $2082.80, total expenses $981.89 with a profit of $1100.91.
September 7, 1952 – 1st try of running fire truck (non fire).
September 12, 1952- $100.00 deposit given to Earl Singer for a lot to build a building on, 100’ x 300’ lot for $500.00. This is where the kitchen is now.
Sept 19, 1952 – Voted to build 30’ x 40’ building.
October 25, 1952 – Footer poured for new building.
November 7, 1952 – Elections for 1953, Pres Roy Sebring, Sec William Woodling, Treas George Jones, Board of Directors Donald Rowe, Norman Warner, Jacob Rustine, William Miller, Lester Wenton, Homer Rinker, Gordon Derrick, George Martin, John Shick. Fire Chief Donald Rowe and Asst Chief Norman Possinger.
April 18, 1953 – 1st officer’s were elected to the JTVFC Relief Association. Pres Carl Price, VP Homer Kellison, Sec Lester Wenton. Directors Robert Lee, Jacob Rustine, Russell Butz Stan Hallet.
November 6, 1953 – Elections, it was voted to keep all the same officers (16-2)
May 21, 1954 – motion made & passed to purchase a 3/4 ton international truck for $1,282.00.
August 6, 1954 – Deposit of $300.00 given to Earl Singer to purchase remaining property for $800.00.
September 22, 1954 – Motion made & passed to purchase tank truck from Harold Miller for $500.00.
October 22, 1954 – Motion made & passed to purchase 1947 K-5 International for $350.00.
November 5, 1954 – Elections for 1955, Pres Roy Sebring, VP Jacob Rustine, Sec William Woodling, Treas George Jones, Asst Chief Robert Lee & Norman Possinger.
January 14, 1955 – Regular meeting nights were chosen to be held on Thursday nights.
March 9, 1955 – Motion made & passed to sell the GMC truck for $50.00.
1955 – Norman Possinger – Fire Warden
May 12, 1955 – Ladies Auxiliary started.
November 3, 1955 – Elections for 1956, Pres Jake Rustine, VP Homer Kellison, 2nd VP Roy Sebring, Sec Carl Price, Treas George Jones, Trustees John Shick, Gordon Derrick, John Boscelli, Morris Possinger, Roy Scbring, William Woodling, Wilbur Miller, Chief Don Rowe, 1st Asst Chief Bob Lee, 2nd Asst Chief Norman Possinger, 3rd Asst Chief George Martin.
November 26, 1955 – 1st hall rental was a weeding reception, rented to Ed Miller.
December 29, 1955 – meeting nights be changed to Monday nights effective Jan 9, 1956.
January 23, 1956 – Motion made & carried to blow the siren 2 long blasts each Monday night at 7 pm & to check equipment.
February 6, 1956 – Tank was changed from the International to the GMC, also decided to transfer body from the American LaFrance to the International.
February 20, 1956 – Motion made & carried to sell the 11/2 ton international chassis.
April 9, 1956 – Motion made to organize Fire Police.
April 23, 1956 – Badges were 1st ordered, 4-Police, 9 drivers, 1-Chief, 3 Asst Chiefs, 12-regular members.
May 25, 1956 – Voted on to fill a pool on Cherry Lane Rd for $25.00
May 28, 1956 – Sold 1947 international 11/2 ton chassis to H. John Davis for $325.00.
September 23, 1956 - Our Co. went down to East Stroudsburg to work on Drill Tower.
November 5, 1956 – Elections for ’57, Chief Russel Butz, 1st Asst. Chief John Shick, 2nd Asst. Chief Stan Hallett, Engineer Homer Kellison, Fire Police Warren Smith, Morris Possinger, Gordon Derrick, Frank Wayne, Vernon Davis, Directors same as year previous, Pres Paul Hufford, VP Emmitt Derrick, Sec Carl Price, Treas George Jones.
November 12, 1956 – Motion made & carried to change 1st Monday of the month for regular business meeting and all the other Mondays for drill.
February 4, 1957 – 1st Gear order placed 6 coats & 6 helmets. Black coats $15.50 each, 5 black helmets and 1 white helmet @ $11.00.
February 18, 1957 – Discussed a possible Fire Tax.
March 4, 1957 – By-Laws from Pocono Twps. V.F.C. were read at the meeting. To be read 2 more times before approving.
April 15, 1957 – Motion made & passed to build a permanent 30’ x 12’ Carnival building. This is the baseball field by Reeders Run now.
May 13, 1957 – It was brought up that a 50ft tower was donated by Mr Homer Karpe – to mount the siren on.
November 18, 1957 – Elections for 1958, Pres Bill Woodling, VP Stan Hallett, Sec Carl Price, Treas George Jones, Chief Russ Butz, 1st Asst Chief John Shick, 2nd Asst Chief Stan Hallet, 3rd Asst Chief Carl Price, Engineer Homer Kellison, Trustees Jake Rustine, Adam Batchler, George Martin, Norman Possinger, Morris Possinger, Elmer Woodling.
April 6, 1958 – 1st Movie night with party afterwards.
August 11, 1958 – It was voted on to buy another tanker & add an addition to the fire house. This is the fire hall part.
September 1, 1958 – Motion made & passed to buy a 1950 GMC w 1240 gal. tank for $1900. from Parker Oil.
January 8, 1962 – Motion made & carried to have $100.00 Death Benefit to be paid from Relief Assoc.
May 21, 1962 - Motion made & carried to purchase base station radio, one mobile radio & one portable radio. Vote was 11 for radios & 7 against.
June 4, 1962 – Motion made by Earnest Butz to cancel the radio order. Second by Morris Possinger , 13 yes to 8 nos.
December 10, 1962
1. Motion made & passed to buy 6 coats & hats & 10 pair of boots.
2. Motion Passed to purchase a generator ($295.60) w/ 2 lights ($30.60 each)
April 1, 1963 – Building committee established.
December 4, 1963 – Motion made & passed to install a second phone in Richard Singers house for fire calls.
January 4, 1965 – Bids were opened for building of new addition. Paul Edinger $25,950 & Daniel Wise $21,530.30. The low bid won.
March 1965 – addition started
November 9, 1965 –
February 7, 1966 – Fire Co. met with auxiliary to go over new kitchen plans, it was adopted to charge for the use of the hall, hall $10.00, hall & bath rooms $15.00 and the hall, bath rooms, kitchen 25.00.
November 6, 1967
1. Motion passed to install a siren at the other end of the township.
2. Brought up about starting Bingo. Still working on getting it together.
December 6, 1967 – Signed placed on front of fire house. (believe it to be our name)
January 1, 1968 – 1st Bingo committee, Bob Lee and Robert Paul.
January 29, 1968 – Agreement made with land owner Larry Butz to install pole mounted siren. (Neola Road and Five Springs.)
Feb 1968 – New phone system up & running. Four locations of fire phones. Fire house, Arch Possinger, Reeder’s Post Office and the Fire Chiefs house.
April 1, 1968 – Neola siren installed. Waiting for PPL to hook up.
June 3, 1968 – Fire Crew 39 approved to use a truck stall & erect a sign on a pole by the school. (Not sure who this is, working on more info.)
July 1, 1968 – 1955 GMC Tank Truck purchase from W.S. Peney for $250.00.
February 3, 1969 – Motion made & second to purchase a new truck from Abeloff, a GMC for $6,675.00.
August 7, 1972 – Motion made & second to give Louis Gray Sr. Life Membership.
April 7, 1973 – 1954 International pickup truck was sold for $467.00 to Kenneth Hilliard thru a sealed bid.
January 7, 1974 – Motion made & passed to dedicate the American LaFrance to former Chief Howard “Barney” Shick.
March 6, 1974 – 1958 American LaFrance dedicated to the Fire Chief Howard “Barney” Shick.
March 3, 1975 – Township ordered Special Fire Police badges & blue lights for the Fire Police.
March 1, 1976 – Motion made & second to put a cigarette machine in the fire house.
August 2, 1976 – Pay phone installed in front of fire house.
September 13, 1976 – 15 Inster Alerts ordered. (Type of pager)
December 6, 1976 – Motion made to make Carl Price Honorary Fire Chief.
April 4, 1977 – Purchased a new Chevy Truck for $18,459.00.
June 6, 1977 – 1950 Tank Truck sold to Sun Valley Fire Company for $800.00.
December 5, 1977 – Motion passed to make Bob Lee Honorary Board of Director.
January 9, 1978 –
1. Motion made & passed to make
a. Stan Hallett – Honorary Assistant Chief
b. Howard Shick, Sr. – Honorary Chief
c. Carl Price – Honorary Chief
d. Bob Lee – Honorary Trustee
2. Motion passed to issue Life Member cards to anyone who attended drills & meetings up to signing of charter.
May 1, 1978 – Jim Hallett and Jim Bush submitted as fire wardens.
November 11, 1978 – Motion passed – Marshall Butz suggested handing out toys and canned goods to the needy within the township.
June 2, 1980 – Ladies Auxiliary asked the body about some members helping them to start an open house.
October 6, 1980 – P.O. Box 215 purchased.
October 4, 1982 – Bob Sargent made mention of selling Christmas Trees.
June 4, 1984 – Rod Hallett joined as a junior.
September 9, 1985 – Hydro Spreader purchased. (The Jaws of Life)
October 7, 1985 – Motion carried to sell all of the carnival equipment to Westend Fire Co. for $400.00
December 9, 1985 – Motion made & second to dismantle the Neola Rd and Five Springs siren after seventeen years.
January 9, 1989 – Four can trailers were acquired to set out within the township for residents to put their aluminum cans into.
January 9, 1993 – Township Resolution to allow fire company to respond to mutual aid.
April 3, 1995 – Motion passed to go half on new ball field stand.
July 10, 1995 – Motion passed to turn over 2.039 acres (ball field) over to the township.
September 1995 – Stand pipes at Reeder’s Run & Mt Road installed.
November 1995 – Windows installed in fire hall.
July 1, 1996 – Death Benefit raised to $500.00.
September 1996 – Brought up to use Omni for year end letter to residents. (This is a letter to residents explaining the fire company and requesting a donation.)
October 5, 1998 – Kenneth Strausser & Jim Hallett made Honorary Trustees.
A big thank you to Cliff Oppelt for putting this together.
42 years of Scouting
Regional Burn Center
January 1, 2021
Information provided by:
National Safety Council
Have you changed the